Sleeping Beauty? Not So Much

     I remember middle school faintly.  Some things are clearer than others.  For instance, unless I really sit down and think I can barely recall any of 6th grade, but I vividly remember my mission trip to the Philippines in 7th grade, or being in the spring musical in 8th grade.  I also can easily remember many of the times my middle school friends would come over and we'd paint nails or dance around my house to 90's christian music.  The CDs (See?  We're going old school here.) we would play the most would always be Barlow Girl. 

     One song in particular was our pre-teen girl anthem.  If you know anything about Barlow Girl's music you might already know where I'm going here: Average Girl.  
Listen To It Here.

     My friends and I adored that song.  It was powerful to us.  It encouraged patience and faithfulness in God as the author of our lives.  However, having just listened to it on the car ride home I've noticed my relationship with that song has taken a turn into "Love/Hate".  At those moments in my adolescence I was so thankful for that song's reminder of not fitting into the norm that our culture was displaying.  At that time it was what I needed.  Sometimes I still do, if I'm being honest.  But, as I pondered this song today I couldn't help but have these thoughts, 


"This just sounds... wrong."  
"Should we really just wait around and 'sleep' until God sends our 'prince' to us?"  
"Shouldn't us women be ACTIVELY seeking God?  Then in turn as our 'prince' is seeking God we could find each other and partner together in our pursuit."
"This song just seems too PASSIVE."


   I couldn't help but be drawn to the parts of the song that talk about waiting and "sleeping" until our 'princes' come for us.  


So what I'm not your average girl
I don't meet the standards of this world
Chasing after boys is not my thing
See I'm waiting for a wedding ring

No more dating
I'm just waiting
Like sleeping beauty
My prince will come for me
No more dating I'm just waiting
'Cause God is writing my love story

Boys are bad that's certainly not true
'Cause God's preparing one for you
If you get tired waiting till he comes
Gods arms are the perfect place to run

Sleep that's the only thing
For me 'cause when I sleep Gods

Preparing one for me

etc.

While I appreciate the sense of patience this instills, it still seems like it is telling us women to passively wait around until God sends us a guy.  That's not what I want, and I'm sure it's not what God wants.  Relationships, romantically, should always come second to the relationship with the Father.  Our focus should be on seeking Him out, not waiting on God to bring us a man.  Patience is key, as well, as a desire for that kind of relationship is pretty much instilled in us all.  And this song helps encourage that.  Like I've said, it's a Love/Hate relationship.  So let's be Patient, Faithful, AND Actively Pursuing Christ.

-XO Juls

Comments

Popular Posts